Monday, October 18, 2010

short, medium, or long term?

since i don't know when i run out of money, when i lose my job, when i get sick, when i run into a string of general bad luck, and when i die (and the equivalent for family)... how do i plan my life?

is my current trajectory based on thinking that's too short term? too long term? too medium term?

what if i actually knew these things? i.e., how much i needed over the course of my future years? the magnitude of my ups and downs? the time of death? how would i plan things?

doesn't take much to make up some assumptions.

do i still drift through life and see what it brings me? or should i at least pretend that i have a plan (or two)?

or at the very least, contemplate how my short term goals conflict with my long term goals? and realize choices need to be made?