Thursday, October 14, 2010

darkness, revisited

three years ago, i did a night run and decided that i wouldn't be doing any more night runs. to be honest, it scared the shit out of me. things just seemed to be lurking in the ominous shadows and the whole time i was looking over my shoulder to see if someone would run up and stab me in my ass.

last night, starting my run around dusk, and as darkness fell, i suddenly realized running in the dark was almost comforting.

in the darkness, with my vision muted, all i could really do was hear was my own breath and my footsteps. the rare runner along the way was simply another shadow blending into the darkness. and all the while, i could safely jog along without paying attention to anything else, or worry that anyone else was watching me. darkness, this time around, seemed to be almost a place of refuge, though i wasn't quite sure what i could possibly be taking refuge from.

perhaps, after six weeks in places where streetlights are a rarity and darkness is the norm, i finally realized there really is nothing to fear about random dancing shadows.

perhaps, when i fully accept that known things are a rarity and uncertainty is the norm, i will truly realize that there is nothing to fear about the unknown.