Saturday, March 27, 2010

memories of kindness

i like analyzing things, rather than telling stories, but am coming to realize that stories are a much better way to convey things. so, thought i would try to locate my earliest memory of random acts of kindness.

and i've been sitting and trying to remember, and strangely, though i am sure there were many, few come to mind before my teenage years. so that seems to be more a reflection of i) i was not exposed to many strangers, or ii) i simply paid little attention to things and took things for granted.

after thirteen, when i went to the US for high school, the memories are a little clearer.

i remember the older hong kong students at my high school who gave lots of helpful advice on how to survive there.

i have lots of memories of my dormmates re-writing my english papers, re-programming my entire computer science project, feeding me their food brought from home, to name a few.

i am sure there were people who helped a kid wandering around looking lost at the airport, but i can't remember what the instances were. i do recall receiving a copy of the bhagavad gita - before the hare krishnas were banned from the airports. i don't remember if i actually donated anything though, and if i just took a copy and thanked them.

man. my memory is really not so good.