Saturday, November 6, 2010

why do i still go on?

sometimes my friends think i enjoy running, i enjoy yoga, and various sorts of masochistic physical activities. sure, i do sometimes. but a lot of times, more often than not, i have to drag myself there. five minutes into the practice or training, i'd like to quit. i'm wondering why i still go on.

a little voice in my head tells me, the marginal benefit of this one practice is not going to make a difference in the long run. another one tells me that nothing i do is really controlled by me, so it's quite ok to succumb to the temptation to be lazy. it's not really my fault.

since rarely can i simply enjoy the process for the process, i can only come up with random mental tricks to drown out the thoughts i'd like to be rid of.

drip, drip, drip. there are somethings where shortcuts are available, and somethings where there are no shortcuts. there is no shortcut for getting a sub-4 hour marathon and the full splits.

it gets better. the beginning is always the worst. keep going. what i do on those bleary days of pure lethargy, turns out to be 10x more important and effective as our "good days".

more pain now, less pain later.

there's no time. no time to consider and reflect "why". the problem at hand is "how". to get through this thing, somehow.