Saturday, May 29, 2010

recovery time

i got myself involved in a minor car accident yesterday morning. it was a simple accident, no injuries - i just bumped into the rear-end of the car in front when it braked hard to avoid another car. not much question, of course i don't necessarily agree it's entirely my fault, but i knew well under hong kong law i didn't have a case, so it didn't matter what i thought.

i was definitely flustered. it didn't help that the other driver, at the behest of his boss, would not settle and had to call in the cops and the whole works. i was late for my meeting. and, i was causing a traffic jam behind me as well.

at the same time, i automatically wondered if this would provide me material to write with, and what grand lesson i might draw from this. how would my brain scan look right now, and what areas would light up? how are the chemical compounds changing this particular instant? can i concoct some backstory about what i did in my past life, assuming i believed in karmic justice?

(yes, i think too much.)

when i woke up this morning, i really can't say the incident bothers me. yes, it's going to cost me, and it's going to be a hassle. whose fault? well, i suppose i could blame it on the universe but it's not really that helpful.

but i don't even have a good lesson to draw from this. if i had to squeeze one out, it's that i'm incredibly thankful paying for this accident is not going to cause my life to go into a death spiral, unlike many others.

well, we almost always get over everything, sooner or later. maybe, possibly, without attributing magic powers to this little blog, my "recovery" time has improved slightly with this daily contemplation. just, maybe.