Saturday, February 20, 2010

fight club

fight club has been my favorite movie ever since i first watched it, and by far. rewatching it again, i just reconfirmed it once again.

maybe i see a lot of the narrator in myself. enraged at the world but strangely unable to do anything about it. enraged at all the consumerist culture around us. enraged that i am my job, i am how much money i have in my bank, and i am the contents of my wallet.

at this point in my life, no, i don't think violence or mayhem is the answer. coincidentally i was reading martin luther king's nobel peace prize speech on non-violence, just a few hours before. they do agree on one thing - our great war of this generation is the spiritual war.

but there is a curious logic to tyler durden's insane destruction - losing everything to liberate our minds.

i know, fight club is probably one of the furthest things from the title of this blog. it strangely does appeal to something deep in me - i am hoping it's the liberation part, and not the mayhem part. or perhaps getting in touch with the dark side is part of the progress?