Friday, June 18, 2010

career things

ignoring the problem of the illusion of freewill, and avoiding the "things will happen the way they're supposed to" for a moment...

frequently, i find myself at crossroads about which career path to take, or to work towards. have alluded to this enough times on this blog to bore even myself, but evidently it's something i still struggle mightily with.

so, i seem to try to make the most sensible move based a variety of criteria, ranging from current satisfaction, future satisfaction, money, lifestyle, etc. i try to peer about five years ahead, since beyond that time horizon, things get so fuzzy it's not worth spending too much time to ponder such. (i also contradict myself in every other entry by spending an inordinate amount of time contemplating things on a much, much longer timescale)

can i make the right move but the wrong overall direction? but my short term moves have presumably incorporated elements of the longer term direction? but my life directions so malleable anyway that i should just stop guessing and go with this mythical "feel"?

in figuring out my career, and since i'm not in school anymore, supposedly no longer bogged down by frivolity, do i:
- think of my dream job and work towards that?
- think of with whatever skillset i seem to have, what would i seem to be the most successful at?
- think of whatever i'd like to learn, go find a job somehow in that area to learn something new?
- think about what the world needs with someone with my kind of skillset?
- and how do i balance all this against monetary concerns? what is "enough" anyway, do i take into account all future liabilities that have a decent chance of occurring?
- stop questioning and appreciate that i apparently have the luxury of choice? it's not going to last anyway? but how does that help me make my choice?